Thursday, August 14, 2008

Insights From the Road, I Can See Clearly Now!

The following was taken from an electronic newsletter published by Dr. Firestien, on November, 2002
Welcome to Insights From The Road, the e-newsletter of creativity from "The Gold Standard of Creativity Training," Roger L. Firestien, Ph.D. Enjoy!

I Can See Clearly Now!

Recently I had eye surgery - cataract surgery to be exact. You might be thinking, "He's too young for cataract surgery." I thought I was too, but the type of cataract I had can develop at any age, and very quickly. From my doctor's diagnosis, it appeared that I was, at best, legally blind in my right eye. (It is a good thing that I didn't have to take a driving test.)

The procedure was quick and painless. It was my first surgery since I had my tonsils out at three years old. After the surgery, I can describe the result as nothing short of miraculous. In fact, I no longer need to wear glasses. I was astounded at the colors in the trees, the beautiful blue sky, and the detail I could now see in the faces of my friends and family. For several days I just looked at the world. The colors and shapes of nature were astounding to me. I found myself slowing down and looking at the world, just looking.

What is the creativity lesson here? From my perspective, it is to slow down and look at nature. Observe the world around you. Nature can provide some wonderful answers to the challenges we face. The invention of Velcro, for example, came from the inventor's observation of how a cocklebur stuck to his clothes. From cockleburs to fasteners, the same principle applies.

Next time you get stuck with a challenge, take a lesson from nature. Take a break. Get away from the challenge. Slow down a bit and look, really look at the world around you. Notice those things that appear very familiar to you; the trees, your home, the scenery on your way to work. See if you can make a connection back to your challenge. You might be amazed at the insights you discover.

Sincerely,

Roger

No comments: